“Should Our Company Have a Disability Policy?”
We were asked recently whether a company needs to have a specific disability policy in place.
Our advice would be No this is not required. There can never be a specific policy on this due to the diversity of issues and how they need to be addressed and dealt with.
Issues with disability MUST be dealt according to the particular disability and individual situation.
A disability cannot be managed according to a policy or a strict set of rules.
Things to consider and think about when any employee has a disability;
- Keeping in touch with employees and holding meetings with them – Speaking to employees about the frequency of reviews etc.
- Prognosis and potential dates for return to work
- The need and consideration of reasonable adjustments
- Consider referring to Occupational Health or medical expert (GP / Consultant)
- the ability for additional time off
- capability processes, automated termination or voluntarily leaving /payments etc
A traditional policy can only go as far as state equality and this is now dealt with elsewhere. Should any employee have a disability, on it being disclosed we would always recommend that a disability plan is carried out discussing all the above however we would not wish to limit this by writing it in a policy—it’s something the employer has to do not something they want to do which means they can still be accused of discrimination.
Should you have any questions feel free to reach out to our help line. DLP advisers are available to answer any questions you may have—24 hours a day—at 0330 400 4454.
One in 14 UK workers are not receiving their full legal holiday entitlement…read more
A claim for discrimination of any sort can be disastrous for a company, but…read more
Schedule a free consultation
Only Name and Email address are required. Additional information will help us assign the appropriate DLP Adviser for your consultation. Your information will be sent to our DLP Advisers and used only to contact you regarding your request. Your data will be stored in our secure CRM system and not shared with any third parties.