Staff Engagement In 2020
Prioritise Work-Life Balance
- More emphasis on flexibility in the workplace
- Discussing flexible options with employees and if suitable, allowing home based working, Skype calls etc.
- 75% of employees said they experience greater productivity at home (FlexJob)
- Embracing flexibility will be key in 2020 as more employees are looking for work-life balance
- Healthier, happier employees are more productive
- It can build community and create an environment of wellness
- Decrease of sickness days and sick pay
- Organisations are seeing the value in emphasising employee wellness with 60% of companies offering wellness programmes (Optum)
Workplace Mental Health
- Following on from workplace wellness, its crucial to make sure that the organisation has an awareness of mental health
- Poor mental health is one of the biggest issues in the workplace today and causes a loss of over 70 million working days each year.
- Organisations need to have an awareness of an employees’ triggers for stress so Managers need to be in regular communication with their teams.
Personal Growth & Development
- 47% of employees said that a limited career path would make them look for a better opportunity (Randstad)
- Even if you have a flat structure or you are a small organisation, it is crucial that employees’ feel that they are learning and developing/ growing
- Mentoring / coaching is crucial to attracting and retaining highly qualified employees.
Creative Employee Benefits
- Employee benefits are an area that needs to evolve from traditional ones to more creative and personalised ones
- Flexible benefits could be an option for larger organisations so employees can pick and choose what
- Benefits that could be an option—free healthy snacks, additional paid holiday, napping rooms, free breakfast, paid gym memberships etc
- Messages shared by employees reach 561% further than the same message shared by companies.
- Employees now play a role in corporate branding due to the rise of social media.
- It is key that employees fully understand your organisation’s values, goals so that they can share this on social media and help promote the organisation.
- Above all else, create a workplace that people want to promote!